Beetroots are of exceptional nutritional value. They are rich in calcium, iron and vitamins A and C. They are also a very good source of fibre, manganese and potassium. Few folks do not like the taste of this wonder vegetable but it is packed with lot of nutrients and the distinct sweet taste of this vegetable makes it a wonder ingredient for many salads.
In this recipe, we have prepared a crunchy and colorful salad using boiled beetroots and chick pea as our main ingredients. The regular salad components (onion and tomatoes) give it an Indian-ized flavor. Chick peas add to extra proteins to the nutritional value of this salad. You got to try this salad in your kitchen to make you believe that boiling enhances the taste of beetroots, yet its nutrients remain intact!! This salad is great for summers and full of anti-oxidants.
Preparation time – 10 minutes
Serves – 4
2 cups chopped lettuce
4 beetroots boiled and diced
2 tomatoes deseeded and chopped
1 chopped onion
1 chopped green chilli
1 tsp chopped mint leaves
1 cup boiled chick pea
½ tsp roasted sesame seeds
For the dressing –
1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
2 tbsp lemon juice
1 tsp honey
Salt to taste
¼ tsp freshly crushed black pepper
- Boil the beetroot till they are soft. This procedure will take approximately 20 minutes. Once boiled, peel and dice them.
- Chop the lettuce and sprinkle 1 tbsp of lemon juice over it. Spread it on the base of your platter. This will serve as your salad bed.
- In a large mixing bowl, add chopped onion, chopped tomatoes, boiled chick pea, chopped green chili and mint leaves.
- Then add diced beetroots in the bowl.
- To prepare the dressing, mix the dressing ingredients together.
- Pour the dressing over the mixture in the bowl. Toss well.
- Put this salad over the set lettuce bed.
- Top with roasted sesame seeds.
- Serve chilled!!
Prepare this salad close to the serving time as the red colour of beetroot may stain the lettuce bed!
Look at the colors 🙂